Winter weather is just around the corner in Des Moines and when the temperature lowers, the utility bills can often surge. There are many things that you can do to prepare for the chilly season and equip your home for the weather change. Storm door installation can aid your home comfort this winter, and Pella Windows and Doors is here to help prime your home for what’s ahead.
What is so noteworthy about storm door installation? While storm doors are advantageous in every season, here are a few of the benefits that storm doors provide during Des Moines winter:
- They increase energy efficiency – Storm doors are an additional layer between the outdoors and your indoor comfort. Their glass covering option reduces energy loss and can help lower monthly costs on your heating this winter.
- They increase home security – Just as storm doors offer an added layer of protection from the elements, a locked storm door also adds another barrier for burglars or other unwelcome guests.
Storm door installation is a great way to prep your entryway for the upcoming winter, but here are a few other ways to save some money in your home as the colder weather looms:
- Check weather stripping. If your weather stripping is coming away, cold air can sneak in and influence your home comfort. If you have issues when reattaching or replacing loose weather stripping surrounding the doors and windows, give our Pella Des Moines professionals a call and we’ll be happy to help.
- Clean window sills and moving parts. Debris can get caught in the moving parts of your windows and doors, especially in your window sills. Grab a dry paintbrush and brush out these areas to create a tighter seal and better the performance of your windows and doors.
- Repair damaged exterior surfaces. Any weak spots on the foundation of your home, for example deteriorating siding or a cracked roof spot, could let cold air to enter into your home. Consult with a professional to repair these issues before the colder temperatures hit Des Moines.
If you have additional questions about how to prepare your house for the colder weather, or about storm door installation this winter, give the experts at Pella Windows and Doors in Des Moines a call at 515-219-7723 or stop by our showroom to discuss face-to-face with our experts. We want to help get your home ready to handle the change in seasons.