Kitchen remodeling was one of the most desired home projects in 2017 and it’s a good way to increase the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before demolishing your existing kitchen cabinets and floors. Consider these do’s and don’ts to get the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the appropriate way:
- Research to make sure you are hiring the right contractor. Browse reviews online, reach out to others for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor is the least expensive.
- Consider your kitchen must-haves—do you want your kitchen to be energy efficient? Have a specific finish or countertop material? Do you want to have high-tech appliances?
- Think about a smart floor plan for your new kitchen. Keep it functional and efficient with plenty of storage and countertop space that meets your needs and the needs of your house. What function do you want this space to serve? How do you spend most of your time in the kitchen? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Keep all your receipts. File all your receipts in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use if you plan to sell your home in the future.
- Focus exclusively on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Be sure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen running efficiently for a long time.
- Forget stick with the budget! Stay on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are worth the most to you. We suggest budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you think you’ll need so you can cover unforeseen costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to assess the windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can bring together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important aspects of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and give you a gateway to the outdoors, which really feels nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our professionals at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 515-219-7723, check out our Des Moines showroom or book an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you choose the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.